Friday, November 4, 2011

My Favorite Apps for Toddlers


My son is almost three and I want to get him an iPod touch for Christmas. I know, I’m crazy, but he wants my phone constantly and it drives me insane.

He has his own folder of apps on my phone and he knows how to navigate through them to find what he wants. He could do this before he was even potty trained! 

He has nine apps on my phone but I’ve decided to share the top 5.


 
This game is super cute. You get to pick your character (boy or girl) and you can even pick the skin color, how politically correct is that?! Once you’ve picked the character you get to put together different outfits. The outfits are based on professions; a rancher, a doctor, an astronaut, etc. There are eight different sets. Once you get an ensemble right the name pops up and it plays a little music. My son has yet to get them correct but he loves swapping them out and making different combinations!


This one is fun but not as interactive. It plays an instrumental version of Old McDonald Had a Farm in the background while your little one “opens” the barn door to see what animal is there. When the barn door opens the animal makes its sound. My son likes it only for the cow. Once he has found the cow, he is done!



I LOVE this one! There are nine different sets of flash cards you can choose from and both are available in English and Spanish. There is a recorded voice that says the word of each picture. My favorite part is that you can go in an record YOUR voice on the cards. On the ABC ones I recorded myself saying familiar words that begin with that letter. For example, I said “A, Avery” (this is his cousin’s name).  So everytime the A card comes up it plays my voice. He gets to see the letter, hear a familiar voice say the letter name AND hear a word. The teacher in me gets excited every time I think about it.


This app is probably a little advanced for my baby but he has found parts of it he can do on his own and has even come to me asking for help to learn how to do the rest. This one has a few different games in it. My son’s favorite that he does independently is the ABC song. The screen has all of the letters of the alphabet and you can set it to tell the name of the letter or the phonetic sound. When you touch letter it wiggles and says the sound you’ve set. His favorite part, and the one I hear like five times in a row, is the ABC song. He loves to play the song and sing along to it. At the end it plays a little beat and of course, we fist pump to it J



I. LOVE. MONKEY. GAME. This is by far my son’s favorite app. Or “farit” as he would say! There are seven different activities that are presented at random (I think.) Every so often your little one gets to put a sticker on the board. They get to see their stickers build up as the play. Once the app is closed out the sticker board clears and you start over. There are no levels it just presents the activities over and over with a variation each time. When I first bought this app I thought the puzzle and matching game would be too hard for him. He struggled through the matching game the first time but by the time it came around the second time he was a pro! I just can’t even explain how much we love this app! If they had a spokes person it would be me!


I am always looking for new apps, as these can get old (and annoying to me). What are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment